Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Videos and MLS Rants

Hmmm.... I haven't quit writing. Just haven't written as much for some time now, and haven't been posting them. I'm still writing. Still writing. Occasionally.

Since I've got my camera I've been more into the photography thing. Got some pics I'm planning to submit to a few magazines. Some outdoor animal portraits I'm wanting to send to Dog Fancy. Maybe they'll accept them, maybe they won't.

Also I've been into the video thing. Since the new camera has a video feature as well. Getting them uploaded on a site called YouTube has been a frustrating experience though, to say the least. A learning experience at best. What editing program to use, what works, what doesn't. What type of files are compatable. For weeks I was driving myself crazy whenever I uploaded because each time major parts failed to be included and the video itself would be shortened. Compressed in such a way that the audio was all messed up and, well it just seemed the best parts ended up being sacrificed. But now, but now... I've made a breakthrough. Mwahahahaha! So watch out people, Bailey could be on a rampage and out of control with the video thingy here.

Speaking of things out of control. What the hell is up with Major League Soccer? As if it wasn't bad enough already, now its seems the entire league has lost its collective mind. First there was the Kansas City Wizards (my hometown team, btw) unceremoniously dumping Tony Meola, without notifying him. That was at the beginning of last season. Then finally he was offered a place with the NY/NJ MetroStars (my second favorite team) in time for the new season and Mo Johnston (also a longtime KC Wizard) was offered a coaching position with the same team after retiring as a player. So, all was right with the MLS. Not for long, because at the beginning of THIS season, when I anxiously tuned in to watch the MetroStars play their first game, I find out that there IS no longer a team called the MetroStars. Some energy drink company had bought the team and from this point forward one of my favorite teams will be known as the New York Red Bulls. Can they do this? Apparently so, because they did. Why? Because they can. The corporate powers that be have decided to play hardball with the fans. With the fans? Its more like "against" the fans.

I had a hard time accepting the name change... in fact I'm still calling them the MetroStars. But as if that wasn't enough, the league has still been making some pretty idiotic decisions of late. Here it is mid-season and they've replaced coach Mo Johnston with this Bruce Arena guy, because of a losing streak... rather than wait till the end, they schedule a mid-season replacement so not only do the players have to deal with a lack of wins, they also have to deal with getting used to a new coach, who know what else. That's not gonna change it to a winning season. Geez! Now goalkeeper Meola is out with a staff infection and hasn't been playing the last few games.... but the timing leads me to wonder if it really is a staff infection. Remember, those two played on the same team for ten years (the Wizards.) I can imagine the level of fed-upness. Meola walks off the team.

Allmighty Corporation: "Well, what are we gonna tell people?" Meola: "Tell 'em I have a staff infection and will be out indefinitely."

Ok. We'll see what happens with Saturday's game between the Wizards and the team previously known as MetroStars.

What a surprise. The Kansas City coach has been replaced for the same reason.

And who decided it was a good idea to give up New York's star player to Denmark? Bad, bad, bad!

In other words, "soccer be goin' crazy!" And this time it's not necessarily a good thing.

No comments: