Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

Monday, September 29, 2008

Toxic Artificial Sweetener

Not many people are aware of this...

Xylitol is deadly to Dogs !
You may be aware of the risks of Xylitol to dogs.
(an artificial sweetener used in diabetic foods, mints, chewing gum,
Sugar free pudding, etc.)

The risks of xylitol ingestion with dogs:- (as little
as 2 pieces of gum can cause death in a 20 lb dog).

Xylitol causes mass insulin release in dogs, leading to severe, acute hypoglycemia.
Symptoms in as little as 20 minutes, or as late as 12 hours: ataxia
(staggering gait), depression, lethargy, confusion, seizures & death.
Even if they survive the hypoglycemia, many dogs experience liver
failure and death 3-4 days later. There is no antidote or "cure." The
only option is to try and stay ahead of it by giving mass amounts of
Glucose to combat the effects of the Xylitol until it finally
metabolizes out of their system in 12-24 hours. Also, to check liver
enzymes a few days later to see if your dog is experiencing fatal
Liver failure - no real cure or treatment, just supportive care.

Xylitol tastes just like sugar, but with fewer calories, so there has
been an explosion of products in the US with Xylitol added.
Strawberries & Raspberries are natural sources of xylitol.

No comments: