Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Sunflowers, candles and poi, oh my!

Springtime has been busy so far... not so much at the pet shop where things have slowed down quite a bit at the moment, but in general. About a week and a half ago I planted sunflowers, and already they're getting some height. It didn't take them long, I can't wait till they start to bloom. Not a very good picture though, but maybe you can still see what I'm talking about. I've noticed with the camera I have now, its been nearly impossible to take inside pics because for some reason the camera doesn't register available light, especially if the source is from a lamp. The only halfway decent ones taken indoors are those with daylight streaming in from outside. In other words, the subject has to be right at the sliding glass door.
I just finished the Harry Potter book that came out last summer. It took me long enough to get to it, and the ending wasn't such a shocker for me, thanks to Nick Pickerell of Blue Springs, MO, who posted a surprise spoiler on his Xanga site last year. What gets me though, is he never even read the book... he told a story about how him and a friend went into the local Barnes and Noble, and he happened to see it on display, picked it up and quickly turned to a point near the end, read a few paragraphs, set the book down and then commented to a complete stranger the end events. He's still a jerk for doing it in my opinion. So I've decided that when the next (and final) book in the series comes out, I'm not going near anyone's blog until I finish the book. It was really a dirty trick, a smart-ass stunt.. grrr...
So The Half-Blood Prince has been logged on my "have read" list. Now I'm on to The DaVinci Code. Not to worry, I'm conditioning myself to be well aware of potential spoilers until I finish this one, lol.

I've also been keeping up on the latest with my daughter's new home-based business venture candle sales. So if any of you might be interested, feel free to visit her site.

This spring I've been trying to get back into yoga more... I enjoy it, that is on those days I'm not being lazy. And I think I've found something I can really enjoy as much if not more, as well. I'm anxiously awaiting my order from Home of Poi, which is a site showcasing an art form similar to fire dancing. Fascinating, I'm really looking forward to learning more about this. I happened to see an episode of Survivor: Exile Island where half the tribe members were allowed to bring some kind of luxury item for winning a reward challenge... one of them being a firedancer, her luxury item was a set of fire poi. Very cool, very cool indeed.

No comments: