Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

Monday, February 06, 2006

Me and Robert happened to catch an old movie on Encore yesterday afternoon. In Cold Blood, the true story researched in Kansas and written by Truman Capote. I'd never seen the movie, never read the book... and I suppose I was just in the mood for a movie classic, attracted by the location (being from the midwest), a morbid interest maybe in one of Blake's earlier roles. We started watching this movie, and it wasn't long before we were both giving it the Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment, with reaction at the characters treatment of the evidence. How times have changed. You would never see that on CSI. At one point, we were nearly shouting at the TV, "What are you doing?... You've got your own prints all over that gun now..." Oh - the detectives tramping all over the crime scene, no regard for the evidence, they're contaminating everything! Lol... What a wide gap in how crime-drama movies are made... you'll never see that again. Just an observation.

I was actually a little disappointed with the Superbowl commercial offerings this time around. There were few winners, in my opionion... and quite a lot of clunkers. Budweiser came through as usual with some clever spots; "Streaker Sheep" being among my favorites. "Baby Clydesdale" weighed in with the "awww" factor, and "Senior Citizen Fabio" was beyond funny. I liked all those. Ameriquest also gains honorable mention in my book with their compromising situations, tre hilarious. Kudos go to Dove soap, with their promo regarding young girls' self-esteem. I also like the FedEx spot, "Caveman firing", and Aleve's ad featuring Leonard Nimoy having trouble flashing the Vulcan sign.
I will continue to stay out of Burger King simply by virtue of their ongoing campaign featuring the creepy King... the BK stage show spot was incredibly stupid. To me their admen have reached a new low; my jaw actually dropped at this inane production. Its almost as if their entire marketing team is composed of the chimps featured in the Careerbuilder ads, (which btw were good spots. Although not the best, at least they were funny.) Call me brand loyal; it seems Pepsi was intent on trashing the competition... Et tu, Jackie Chan? And the stunt double for a can of Pepsi is a can of COKE? (what-the-huh?)

Always for me, the game itself was secondary. I did end up getting into the play... Awful for Seattle, which seemed like it couldn't get a break the whole time. Especially the play where Roethlisberger fell short but dragged the ball over the line after landing. Bad call, in my humble opinion. But at least it was a good game, not a "shut-out." So congratulations to Pittsburgh for the win.

No comments: