Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Rob Zombie attends the premier screening of his recent slasher flick, "All Hollywood Breaks Loose" ....

Actually this photo is of a Hindu yogi paying homage to Lord Shiva. Hindus from all over Nepal and India gathered at Pashupatinath temple to celebrate Shivaratri festival last Sunday. (REUTERS/Gopal Chitrakar)

Last week I ordered a copy of the current Poet's Market, and ever since it arrived both Robert and myself have been poring through the pages every chance we get. Its definitely a a worthwhile reference. I think I'll get the next edition too, when it comes out. So far, Robert has sent poems to several magazines listed in the book, and I've found a few already to send to. There's one called Thorny Locust, in Kansas City, that wants "poems with a bite." That'll work, I have a few lines with teeth, lol.

I've been keeping up on some of the animal rescue sites, cruelty cases listed by the ASPCA, and http://petabuse.com. There was a documentary on HBO last Tuesday, "Dealing Dogs" focusing on undercover footage of Martin Creek Kennels in Arkansas, whose owner routinely abused the dogs there... I really found it hard to sit still while watching some of those incidents. This always gets me so angry, makes me want to slap the shit out of whoever's abusing the animal. I've probably said it before, now I'm saying it again... God help anyone I see doing that to a dog, cat, or any other animal. In the documentary, the activist, "Pete" had to compromise everything he knew as right and wrong, in order keep his cover safe long enough to get extensive incriminating footage. In the end, after years of delays, Martin Creek Kennels were shut down for good. But I really have to hand it to the guy for his self-control... I don't think I'd be able to stand still for that. If I were in that situation, I'm sure my cover would be blown the first time somebody slapped a dog.
I still reccoment watching this documentary. For anyone who has Comcast digital cable with HBO, they're showing it: HBO On Demand, so you'll be able to see it anytime you want starting this Monday.

No comments: