Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

Friday, February 20, 2004

Truman and Sterling

"Cheer up... It'll get worse."
He's the lead, he should know
these things, such perky banter,
and I'm listening, listening
to the overlays like hours in
the day expanding into the dark
with no way to and fro..
It's dangerous out there at
night, just last Tuesday, a shooting
right there on the corner, where I
turn, at the corner where Regional
appears in the distance...
I wonder, which of the four corners
heard the report first. A shot to ring
just once, grazing the arm of the
victim. Still something to consider...
"Oh cheer up, it'll get worse"

(One aspect to this poem: There's someone where I work who does actually tell people that... at first, I thought he may have been kidding. But as time goes on, with more and more of these changes at work, I'm starting to wonder how much of a joke he really means it as.)

No comments: