Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

Friday, April 21, 2006

Soccer Saturday

Excuse me while I rant:

Now that the MLS season is well underway, I have a few bones to pick with some of the new team names this year. The New York/New Jersey Metrostars
have now become this: The New York Red Bulls.
What happened to New Jersey? Why were they dropped from the namesake? Did anyone bother to ask the fans? Who thought up the concept for this logo, Red Bulls? It sounds like an energy drink, the one that's supposed to give you wings. Is it just me, or does the image on the T-shirt looks like it represents two members of the same team on a collision course. Is that the idea they want to impart? Or is that what happened to the Jersey part of the team, they got caught between two bullish clones on a simulateous path to destruction. Were they in the wrong place at the wrong time? I ask you, am I the only one who's wondering all this?

The MLS is now into its 11th year as a league... why mess with the strong familiar MetroStars? New name, and a pretty lame logo to go with it...
I guess its for the same reason major sports arenas are now named after huge corporations and banks... some executive who could probably care less for the game itself sees a way to make a little extra money he doesn't even need by doing so.
I just wanted to know why... I went through the team's entire timeline and only found this at the very end:
3/9/06
The team is purchased and renamed as Red Bull New York.


It doesn't say who purchased them or for what reason they changed the name.

By the way, I watched yesterday as Meola was not having a very good night... I still say Meola and Johnston are the only good things this team has left.

No comments: