Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

Thursday, November 13, 2003

Sometimes karma works and sometimes it doesn't. There's a lady at work who's just lost her father, he'd been in intensive care for about a week and a half, and all during that time she'd taken time off to be with him. Well, when they moved him to another floor, I figured he was at least out of danger. But today another lady at work came up to me and told me that she was taking up a collection for her, that her dad died last night. And here I thought he was in the clear when they moved him, but then she's telling me they moved him to that floor to die, that there was nothing else they could do for him. I really had no idea. Or maybe I did and just subconsciously distance myself from things like that. I mean, after the last time, when that kid was in ICU. It still comes as a shock when somebody comes right out and says it. Well, I told her I'd contribute. Very sad outcome.
On the other side of the coin, and now very small consolation, is what I mean when I say karma works. I found out today that someone I've known for years to be a very evil person, has had a run of bad luck. I won't go into much detail but the person is an alcoholic and has done some very mean spirited things to others in his family, his whole life.
And here you've got two people that were probably the most complete opposites, in terms of characte. That old man was probably the nicest person, never did anything bad to anyone. I'm really not sure where I'm going with this, except maybe to say maybe now I feel guilty for having sensed some small justice being done from this one other guy's run of bad luck. Just something that struck me kinda weird and hopefully I'll make more sense out of it now that I've gotten it off my chest.

No comments: