Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

Friday, April 09, 2004

Recalling A Dream

Take the boat out on the water
at midnight under the stars
in the open air, just to feel
the coolness of the ocean,
just to listen for a liquid break
of movement on the surface
against the wood.
I close my eyes to listen
for the words "salt" and "sea"
and remember only panoramic
photos of the World's Lighthouses,
given last Christmas to friends
on the way home to Boston.
I close my eyes to recall the dream,
sitting on that bench there,
along the boardwalk, shedding bitter
pieces of meaning, my heart poured
out to a faceless kindred soul.
I close my eyes to recall
a strange chance taken, spoken wisdom,
silent tears giving way to
sobbing the truth of lacking clarity,
then on to finding direction.
The dream was years ago and forgotten.
Forgotten until now, it must be
years to the day and a day later.

No comments: