Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Read my lips, no new dogs.

There was a huge snowstorm yesterday out in Kansas where some of our breeders are. so that means there was a huge delay in getting half the puppies in. See we were supposed to get six puppies and five cats yesterday and four more dogs in today... Only now we're getting them all at once, so its "Arrgghh! Cute pet overload!" Its gonna take me forever to get them all weighed and temps taken. Not to mention comforting the ones who are extra scared. Well they all come in scared usually, its all strange to them. New place, they don't know what to expect... especially after the flight and the drive in from Philly. But you know me, I'll get it done however long it takes. You've got to have some empathy to be in this kind of work.

First day of Spring and there were brief flurries of snow... didn't last long. Second day, still didn't feel like Spring. But you know its that time of year when the geese are primed for attack. You'd think the cold would put a damper on their action.. but Noooo! There were two in the parking lot on my way into work yesterday morning. One of them took flght and headed straight for me... and here I'm yelling at him to "Stop.... Stop!" As if he's really gonna know what I'm saying, lol. But he landed right in front of me, so I ended up taking a wide circle around him...
Then coming home from the store yesterday I noticed a guy on the sidewalk ahead of me and two more geese across the street (which was full of traffic) making all kinds of noise. I swear if I didn't know any better I'd say they were actually pacing that guy from the other side of the street to make sure he didn't cross over into their territory. Could be. They get very aggressive this time of year, protective of their nesting sites. It just seems that there are even more of them around than last year, so there's really gonna be a problem with people getting hit by a bird... or should I say "goosed"?

We finally saw the movie The Village, from M. Night Shymalan. I love the twist to his movies.. they always make you think on the possibility for the next few days. Excellent movie, I really enjoyed it. Also interesting is when I looked him up on the http://imdb.com I found his next project is the screenplay for a book I just finished reading not too long ago, The Life Of Pi by Yan Martel. Hmmm... I was kind of disappointed in the reading.. it left too many unanswered questions, but plenty of opportunity for some of Shymalan's famous twists. So I'd be interested to see what he does with it.

We watched the Capote movie last night, got the DVD yesterday. I'd have to say it kind of reduced my respect for the man himself. All those manipulative tactics, the use of any means necessary to get what he wanted. And then when it looked like the plan backfired, he got all immersed in some little self-pity party. "They're torturing me... it's torture.." But, at the same time he did introduce a whole new genre in books. Too bad he never wrote another complete book after that... It was a good movie though, Phillip Seymore Hoffman did an outstanding job with the character.
I just wonder how many people remember the actual book In Cold Blood (and then the movie of the same name). Like I said before, when I watched the original I was surprised the State of Kansas still used hanging as a means of execution as late as 1965.

Update: This time a happy ending -
Remember Rosie, the severely emaciated Wheaton terrier that was surrendered to the Michican ASPCA after one of the owners couldn't figure out why she was in such poor health...
Video: Rosie's New Home

No comments: