Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

Sunday, March 12, 2006

*WHOMP* It sounded like someone dropped something heavy on the floor. Someone did. I looked up from the kennel cage I was cleaning and there was the Tia at the door with a laundry basket full of wet towels at her feet. "How come you keep doing this to me?," she sputtered. "Doing what?", I replied. "Leaving me all this wet laundry!", she bellowed.
Oh. It was on now. It was definitely on.
I had fair warning with enough advance notice to be ready for anything when the Tia started her shift. I was told she was on the warpath the previous night, moaning and complaining to anyone within earshot about how I must be personally trying to vex her for some reason by leaving loads of wet laundry to be dried.
The problem is the dryer, which is not keeping up with the washer on par levels. So instead of leaving buckets of dirty towels laying around from the kennel, I've chosen to wash them. Its more sanitary and the way I see it, leaves less work for the next shift.
The Tia doesn't see it that way.
She thinks its better for poopy towels to contaminate and stink up the area than to just go ahead and have them clean. You would think she'd appreciate the "less smell" factor.
Wrong.
The Tia would rather risk the smell of dog shit wafting through the air, than deal with the smallest possiblity of mildew.
Like I said, it was definitely on. And we went back and forth a few minutes with me finally saying, "You really expect me to change the way I'm doing this because YOU have a problem with it? That's BULLSHIT, Tia!" Needless to say some of that was heard in the store, just outside the kennel area.
I went outside to cool down and have a smoke, while she went crying to anyone who would listen near the registers... Sulking and pouting, the two things she does best. But I'm amazed, she's so good at it. And you know, I can laugh about it all five minutes later, just as I'm laughing now... but there's a down side. I'm just hoping she wasn't tempted to take her anger out on any of the animals, after I left for the day.

No comments: