Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

Monday, August 09, 2004

Missing

Missing again, that one thought
I had tucked away, I thought safe,
the ideal that was the perfect one
to build on.

Should have seen it coming.
That split-second distraction;
the car speeding by too close
to the curb, the sparrow dive
bombing the neighbor's cat
from his arial tree top perch,

Should I design a "lost" poster
of some sort, notify the authorities,
Independence's finest boys in blue,
thumb a ride to the nearest Krispy Kreme
to file my report.

The sketch will grace the carton
on your breakfast table...
"Have you seen this thought?"
Was last seen in the vicinity
of "WALK" and "DON'T WALK"

Retrace the steps now, or in my sleep
you will be found again, in that brief
moment before REM drifts soundless,
wordless, inside a dream, where in
my dream I'm reaching for the pen
and paper.