Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

Friday, April 01, 2005

Get More Music Videos @ MusicFeet.com

I've thought about doing something new in my poetry group, Bailey's Java Cafe. Have one day a week set aside as "Lyrics Day" where members can post their favorite song lyrics. And to go along with that, I could also post my favorite for the month. Complete with maybe a video, like the one here, or just an audio version of some songs.
I don't know how many of you saw recently this band U2 inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Kind of disconcerting though, when you think of it. I was always under the impression they only do that when a band seems to be nearing the end of their career. I'm not ready for that, and neither are they. From the looks of things, these guys won't be slowing down anytime soon, and they've definitely earned the honor.
Such a great band... They've been one of my favorites for years. Just look how long they've lasted. And their music has always had lyrics that were more than lyrics somehow. Bono is a poet, so being a poet makes a singer/songwriter more than just a musician. Couldn't count, really, how many songs are among my favorites, almost all... these come to mind first though: "Numb", "Bad", "Where The Streets Have No Name"... wow, all the way up to "Vertigo" and the song Bono wrote for his father, "Sometimes You Can't Make it on your own." All great songs. So here's a toast to U2, fire up those Bic lighters (for those of you under 25, activate your cell phones.)

No comments: