Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

Thursday, September 25, 2003

In one of the rooms I was cleaning yesterday, a car accident victim who said he was finally going home the next day. We got to talking, he was telling me how he totaled out his car last Friday, even showed me pictures of the wrecked car. My God, you know he was so lucky to walk away from that. Believe me there are people in less damaging wrecks who don't make it, I know. He's a young kid, just graduated high school last year. Told me that this particular time he had his seat belt on, when he doesn't usually wear one, and couldn't explain why or the reason he chose to buckle up. Man... I told him it just sounded like someone was definitely looking out for him that night, he is extremely lucky. I just can't help but think of Shawn when I see stuff like this.

There's a lady at work who's always bringing cakes for birthdays and such. She says she can't sleep a lot of times at night so she's always up at 3 in the morning baking a cake or cookies. Then she'll carry it to the bus stop, catch the bus to the Square, then walk from the Square to the hospital. Imagine having to lug those things around every time like that, sometimes she'll bring more than one when two birthdays hit in the same week. Little bitty thing too, not even 5 feet, weighs like 80 something. And here she's pushing these big carts around at work, don't know how she does it. Anyway, she bakes all these cakes, but never one for herself, she's diabetic. We all ought to find out when her birthday is and do somthing special, I mean after all, she's the one all the time thinking of everybody else. I remember when it was my birthday she asked me what kind of cake I wanted and I said "coconut" and I figured it would be like a mix with some cocunut added, or even just in the icing. But here she brings this 3-layer cake and says she made it from scratch. Wow... so we really need to do something really nice for her... It kinda bothers me some people complain about how she's so "grouchy" a lot of times, and I'm sorry, I just don't see it. She's just talking, everyday conversation, nothing grouchy about that.

No comments: