Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

Thursday, September 11, 2003

I've stayed away from tv on purpose the past couple of days, but because the images are always gonna be there, images and words, and tributes to firefighters and emergency workers. Everyone pulled together two years ago. I can't figure out why it takes such a tragedy for people to pull together like that. I don't know, just some observations I guess. I saw the attacks on tv as it was happening, I guess that was enough for me. I was working third shift at the time at another hospital in North Kansas City, and when I came home that morning, I fell asleep trying to watch some tv, and happened to wake up again when they broke into programming with taped footage of the first plane that hit one of the buildings. They had already switched to a live feed by the time the second plane came through.
Not long after, I heard one of the announcers say that the first structure was leaning, and I remember thinking, "surely not, that can't be right." But it was. And by the end of the end of the day those buildings were gone, along with all the people still in them. Even as far away as I was, the whole experience, watching it, left me feeling chilled. Knowing that from then on things would never be the same. Its still awful to remember, but the feeling I have is that we're supposed to remember, just some of us in different ways, in private.

No comments: