Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter

Saturday, August 30, 2003

Last night at Barnes and Noble almost turned out to be a complete waste of time. I say "almost" because at least I got to talk to a good friend of mine while I was there, and I picked up a suspense novel that looks like it might be pretty good, Quietus by Vivian Shilling. What happened at the bookstore was that I was all set to come to the poetry reading and participate, and even called up there way beforehand to make sure the thing was still going on. So when they said "Yeah, it looks like it's still on for tonight." I said "Thank you," hung up the phone and high-fived the person standing next to me, which was my son, who also went with me, by the way. But after I got there and waited, it didn't look like anything was even set up to go on, I asked and they told me that the person who was in charge of that had taken another job and possibly the event would be on hold indefinitely. I really wish they could have told me all this over the phone. But - live and learn, I guess. Next time call 2 or 3 times to make sure.
Then this morning I tried to post a message in one of the groups, and I noticed it didn't take so I thought it might have just been a glitch or something. But when I checked my email, there was a delivery failure notice for that very message. It seems that it violated some kind of policy, which I don't understand because it wasn't spam, and I didn't post any inappropriate pictures, and I didn't threaten anybody, so this is really weird. It just seems that the gods of censorship are working overtime today. Lol.
So now the good news... It's not really official yet, but my daughter has been accepted into Brooks Institute of Photography. She's really kind of nervous now about keeping up the GPA. She'll do fine, I have major confidence in her, even when sometimes she has trouble generating it for herself. Plus, I told her that I'd help out on any project. Which so far has been the animal cruelty laws issue for that big paper she has to do.

No comments: